The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Storms in teacups? I would have thought most of these actions are normal school procedure…the ones concerning direct contact with the student are part of our federal and State ‘Working Children’/‘Working with Vulnerable People’ police checks anyway (have to be annually updated for each employee and individual contractor) so you can carry your yellow & blue clearance cards.
I don’t see why the new outrage???

Especially given yet another school shooting.

I see you are trolling us yet again. 

mtierney said:

Nobody in MSO care?

National Review

By THE EDITORS

March 27, 2023 12:29 PM

Last week, Republicans in Congress passed the Parents Bill of Rights, 213–208. Critics will dismiss it as a messaging bill, but the message it sends about Democrats’ priorities is unsettling in the extreme.

Consider: The bill requires schools in receipt of federal funding to publish their curricula and to provide parents with a list of books and materials accessible at the school library. It also contains provisions that require schools to notify parents of any planned elimination of gifted-and-talented programs, to alert parents to any violent activity that took place at school, to provide parents a forum to speak at school-board meetings, and to offer two in-person meetings between parents and teachers in each school year. It requires parental consent for any medical exams or mental-health and substance-use screenings. Crucially, it establishes for parents “the right to know if a school employee or contractor acts to . . . change a minor child’s gender markers, pronouns, or preferred name; or . . . allow a child to change the child’s sex-based accommodations, including locker rooms or bathrooms.”

As you can guess, each one of these provisions relates to the rash of controversies swirling around public schools in the news the past few years, including the introduction of critical race theory and sexually explicit material for young readers and the treacherous subterfuge of school districts’ making major psychological-health decisions for students while deliberately keeping parents in the dark.

There is legitimate debate about whether the federal government ought to assert itself this way upon locally controlled school districts. But that was not the substance of objections from Democrats.

Progressives tended toward hysterical fictions. “Extreme MAGA Republicans don’t want the children of America to learn about the Holocaust,” alleged Hakeem Jeffries, absent any evidence.

Or they outright took the side of the state usurping the proper role of parents. “This Republican bill is asking the government to force the outing of LGBT people before they are ready,” Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said on the House floor. “When we talk about progressive values, I can say what my progressive value is, and that is freedom over fascism.”

Here we must reassert a truth so primordial it predates conservatism as a political philosophy: Parents are the primary educators of their children. Taxes are raised (or fees collected) and schools are established only to assist them in this task, not to take it over. Civilized nations deprive parents of this role or limit it only when there is established criminal neglect.

Democrats, by their universal opposition to this bill in the House, in the Senate, and from the White House, are the ones sending a message. They are the party that wants to treat normal parental oversight and curiosity as a conspiracy against the state, as presumptively seditious, and as dangerous for children. It is the most noxious Marxist conviction that the American Left cannot shake: that normal family life itself ideologically deforms children, and that only the strong checking and supervisory role of the state can save them from the baleful influence of Mommy and Daddy.

Luckily, even most parents who think of themselves as progressives reject the Democrats’ view. Every Republican candidate should loudly and joyfully campaign against this radicalism

my parents never looked at my school curriculum. We raised two kids in SOMA and I never once felt the need to look at every book on a reading list. 

Normal parents know that nothing their kids read in school is going to damage them. 

mtierney said:

National Review

By THE EDITORS

Progressives tended toward hysterical fictions.

Ahem.

As you can guess, each one of these provisions relates to the rash of controversies swirling around public schools in the news the past few years, including the introduction of critical race theory and sexually explicit material for young readers and the treacherous subterfuge of school districts’ making major psychological-health decisions for students while deliberately keeping parents in the dark.

And here …

mtierney said:

National Review

By THE EDITORS

Here we must reassert a truth so primordial it predates conservatism as a political philosophy: Parents are the primary educators of their children.

… what type of education are we talking about? We’re talking about the Catechism of the Catholic Church, from which this primordial truth is taken:

Parents have the first responsibility for the education of their children. They bear witness to this responsibility first by creating a home where tenderness, forgiveness, respect, fidelity, and disinterested service are the rule. the home is well suited for education in the virtues. This requires an apprenticeship in self-denial, sound judgment, and self-mastery - the preconditions of all true freedom. Parents should teach their children to subordinate the "material and instinctual dimensions to interior and spiritual ones." Parents have a grave responsibility to give good example to their children. By knowing how to acknowledge their own failings to their children, parents will be better able to guide and correct them.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/03/27/us/california-flood-photos.html

The above photos tell a tale of misguided leadership and plain old-fashioned political stupidity. California appears to be self-destructing IRT.

mtierney said:

The above photos tell a tale of misguided leadership and plain old-fashioned political stupidity. California appears to be self-destructing IRT.

The photos tell no such tale.

It appears that you have no ability to think critically, merely concluding what your cartoons tell you to conclude, given your biases..

mtierney said:

The caption on the second photo explains that your post is missing the point.

jimmurphy said:

mtierney said:

The photos tell no such tale.

It appears that you have no ability to think critically, merely concluding what your cartoons tell you to conclude, given your biases..

The point of the cartoon is, "Why didn't you prepare for the thing that we insisted wasn't happening?"

The lame game and deflection of the Nashville murders begins….

https://spectator.org/they-them-did-it/

What if the Nashville police had been defunded, as had been demanded by progressives across this country in recent years? Many more children and adult might have been slaughtered. 

Wouldn't it have been better if she had been prevented from shooting in the first place?

As is the usual, all we get from conservatives is more of their worthless "thoughts and prayers".

mtierney said:

What if the Nashville police had been defunded, as had been demanded by progressives across this country in recent years? Many more children and adult might have been slaughtered. 

That's an ignorant and insulting "question". It's not based on any reality.

Here's some reality - the family didn't want the killer to have any weapons.  They thought they had gotten any guns out of the house. They were wrong.

Tennessee Republicans specifically rejected any legislation which would have enabled the family to request police assistance to keep those guns away from the killer.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-politics/tennessee-lawmakers-split-on-red-flag-laws-gov-lee-not-discussing-gun-restrictions/

nohero said: 

“That's an ignorant and insulting "question". It's not based on any reality.

“Here's some reality - the family didn't want the killer to have any weapons. They thought they had gotten any guns out of the house. They were wrong.”

May I be allowed to say you are incorrect? I would also like to know whom am I insulting?

The shooter had 7 guns in the house, which photos reveal to be a normal size home, no where near McMansion or Maplewood size, sprouting up around town. I raised 4 kids in a 5 bedroom home and I assure you I knew every conceivable hiding place there was. I cannot fathom two parents not finding, or not having knowledge of the sizable collection of firearms in their home. 

The news mentioned that on  the morning of the shooting the parents asked about what was in a red bag carried by shooter leaving the house. They got no answer! But their questioning does reveal that they may possibly have been worried about their 28 year old. Might they have stopped the shooter? I doubt it.

Blaming GOP pols  for this tragedy is almost as stupid as our president blaming MAGA republicans for the immigration crisis at our border! And, I believe, is an insult to the families of the victims in Nashville.

mtierney said:

I raised 4 kids in a 5 bedroom home and I assure you I knew every conceivable hiding place there was.

How would you know if there were hiding places that you didn't find?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

I raised 4 kids in a 5 bedroom home and I assure you I knew every conceivable hiding place there was.

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 

I bet you kids get a kick out of that story.

cheese

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

I did not have “blame the killer’s parents” on my bingo card. 

mtierney said:

The lame game and deflection of the Nashville murders begins….

https://spectator.org/they-them-did-it/

It's okay Mtierney.  As we speak, there are politicians in Tennessee arguing that more teachers should be armed.

mtierney said:

Try reading a little bit more and you would learn of resistance to water management plans put forth repeatedly by the state government.  Local jurisdictions don't always support a statewide water management program.

And you do understand that in the case of an ARkstorm flood event in California, most of that water will have to go to the ocean because even with all the reservoirs you could imagine, there will be no place to put the water.

Try reading more than cartoons.

mtierney said:.”

May I be allowed to say you are incorrect?

You're allowed to say whatever you like. And others are allowed to respond and point out how you get your facts wrong.

mtierney said:

I cannot fathom two parents not finding, or not having knowledge of the sizable collection of firearms in their home.

When you can’t fathom something, what steps do you take?

"Blaming GOP pols for this tragedy is almost as stupid as"... blaming Dems, who are at least open to trying to do something about the gun problem (starting with seeing our gun situation as a problem instead of a opportunity).

PVW said:

mtierney said:.”

May I be allowed to say you are incorrect?

You're allowed to say whatever you like. And others are allowed to respond and point out how you get your facts wrong.

This bears repeating because I know that one poster here has a REALLY hard time understanding the concept.  You are ABSOLUTELY allowed to say whatever you want and everyone else is ABSOLUTELY allowed to disagree with your when the thing you said is racist, homophobic, misogynist, bigoted or other wise just complete nonsense.

That's what Freedom of Speech is all about.

You both need to get out from under the slimey Hosta leaves more often! But maybe sunshine cooks slugs in slime?  I pray that your children do not know how you both use social media as a misogynistic, bigoted, anti-religious tool to divert and deflect. 

I should report you, again, to Jamie, as Holy Week is near and such comments are especially distasteful, but it is to no avail as, like most garden plagues, soon to pop up on the trowel again. The pan of beer solution under Hosta plants, etc. is effective only in the short term. But oddly satisfying.

mtierney said:

You both need to get out from under the slimey Hosta leaves more often! But maybe sunshine cooks slugs in slime?  I pray that your children do not know how you both use social media as a misogynistic, bigoted, anti-religious tool to divert and deflect. 

I should report you, again, to Jamie, as Holy Week is near and such comments are especially distasteful, but it is to no avail as, like most garden plagues, soon to pop up on the trowel again. The pan of beer solution under Hosta plants, etc. is effective only in the short term. But oddly satisfying.

Don’t you dare place PVW under your stinking hosta leaves…your obsession with trolling the slugs is epic. 

GoSlugs said:

This bears repeating because I know that one poster here has a REALLY hard time understanding the concept.  You are ABSOLUTELY allowed to say whatever you want 

mtierney said:

I should report you, again, to Jamie
, as Holy Week is near and such comments are especially distasteful, but it is to no avail as, like most garden plagues, soon to pop up on the trowel again. The pan of beer solution under Hosta plants, etc. is effective only in the short term. But oddly satisfying.

What an absolutely bizarre response to my assertion of your right to free speech!  But please, go ahead and do report my comment to Jamie.  I would love to see his response.

I've been wondering recently whether there is something wrong with mtierney (aside from all the very real things that have always been wrong with mtierney).

GoSlugs said:

I've been wondering recently whether there is something wrong with mtierney (aside from all the very real things that have always been wrong with mtierney).

you’re really getting under her hosta leaves as of late…she’s planning on dumping a bottle of boric acid on your head  smile

View in browser— From The Dispatch

Our Best Stuff From the Week the Trump Indictment Came Down

The legal implications, the political implications, and how his base might react.

Rachael_Larimore-50x50.png

Rachael Larimore

Apr 1, 2023

Hello and happy Saturday. Had this been a normal week, I’d be joking about how you can predict when it’s going to rain by looking at our son’s baseball schedule, or tell you how our oldest was having a cool experience at Fort Knox this weekend with his ROTC battalion. But it was not a normal week, was it?

On Wednesday, media outlets reported that the Manhattan grand jury hearing evidence in District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s investigation of former President Donald Trump would not be meeting for the next month, putting off any potential indictment. Or not. The very next day, at about 5 p.m., the indictment dropped. The indictment is still sealed and we likely won’t know the specific charges until Tuesday, but reports indicate that Trump will face charges on more than 30 counts related to business fraud. He’s the first former president to be indicted, and, as we noted in The Morning Dispatch, the first to officially run afoul of law enforcement “since Ulysses S. Grant was arrested for speeding through Washington, D.C., in his horse-drawn carriage.”

Bragg’s investigation has centered around Trump’s alleged $130,000 hush-money payment during the final days of the 2016 campaign to adult film star Stormy Daniels. (Daniels’ allegations of a 2006 sexual encounter with Trump became public in 2018.) The investigation involves the most sordid allegations of the various inquiries into the former president, but also the least serious. Trump is also the subject of a grand jury investigation in Fulton County, Georgia, related to his attempts to overthrow the 2020 election, and special counsel Jack Smith is investigating the January 6 Capitol riot and whether Trump played any role in the attempt to prevent the certification of the election results.

And so it’s a messy situation. There are legal questions: Is the case too weak? Will Bragg’s novel theory that Trump’s payment amounts to a campaign finance violation be shot down? And there are political questions: Is the investigation an example of prosecutorial persecution? Might this actually help Trump with his supporters? What does it mean for 2004?

mtierney said:

View in browser— From The Dispatch

Our Best Stuff From the Week the Trump Indictment Came Down

The legal implications, the political implications, and how his base might react.

Rachael_Larimore-50x50.png

Rachael Larimore

Apr 1, 2023

Hello and happy Saturday. Had this been a normal week, I’d be joking about how you can predict when it’s going to rain by looking at our son’s baseball schedule, or tell you how our oldest was having a cool experience at Fort Knox this weekend with his ROTC battalion. But it was not a normal week, was it?

On Wednesday, media outlets reported that the Manhattan grand jury hearing evidence in District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s investigation of former President Donald Trump would not be meeting for the next month, putting off any potential indictment. Or not. The very next day, at about 5 p.m., the indictment dropped. The indictment is still sealed and we likely won’t know the specific charges until Tuesday, but reports indicate that Trump will face charges on more than 30 counts related to business fraud. He’s the first former president to be indicted, and, as we noted in The Morning Dispatch, the first to officially run afoul of law enforcement “since Ulysses S. Grant was arrested for speeding through Washington, D.C., in his horse-drawn carriage.”

Bragg’s investigation has centered around Trump’s alleged $130,000 hush-money payment during the final days of the 2016 campaign to adult film star Stormy Daniels. (Daniels’ allegations of a 2006 sexual encounter with Trump became public in 2018.) The investigation involves the most sordid allegations of the various inquiries into the former president, but also the least serious. Trump is also the subject of a grand jury investigation in Fulton County, Georgia, related to his attempts to overthrow the 2020 election, and special counsel Jack Smith is investigating the January 6 Capitol riot and whether Trump played any role in the attempt to prevent the certification of the election results.

And so it’s a messy situation. There are legal questions: Is the case too weak? Will Bragg’s novel theory that Trump’s payment amounts to a campaign finance violation be shot down? And there are political questions: Is the investigation an example of prosecutorial persecution? Might this actually help Trump with his supporters? What does it mean for 2004?

it's not an "alleged" hush money payment. It's been established beyond a reasonable doubt that it was. What's alleged is that the machinations of it were an illegal cover up of a campaign finance offense.

how can we take your sources seriously when they get such basic facts wrong?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.