The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

dave said:

Hong Kong SAR is making a much better effort at expanding affordable housing than any of the British appointed governors ever had.  While some bemoan no longer being a British subject, many see opportunity in being reunited with the mainland. Most locals realize they can still travel freely to many nations visa-free and pay lower income taxes than their mainland PRC counterparts. Not to mention that actual democracy in Hong Kong only existed when the last British governor (Patten) let it happen, so it wasn't an entrenched form of government here.

Moreover, economic apartheid existed in Hong Kong during most of Hong Kong's occupation.  Expats worked in British hongs and locals in Chinese hongs. If a British married a local, he could give up any expectation of promotions. This likely ended some time ago, of course. Similarly, locals could not live in certain areas of Hong Kong Island despite their abillity to afford it. Markers on trails still exist showing these boundaries. 

I will see if I can get Expats, as I'm curious about it. All I remember is at the time of shooting it most local citizens and expats being angered because Kidman got around the 3-day quarantine law then in place. 

I know you will  enjoy the visuals and camera work for sure. Kidman’s Expat  is worth the watch, the show would be award worthy — her best on-screen performance to date in my opinion.

Mtierney,

Can you think of any reasons why there might be growing support for the Palestinians?

(besides woke worms affecting people's brains)

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

Can you think of any reasons why there might be growing support for the Palestinians?

Sad to say, but among the possible reasons  for sure, would be politics and the upcoming convention and election. 

The brutal crimes committed by Hamas way back in 10/7/23 and the taking of hostages (surely these captives are all dead by now), combined with the strong response from an enraged Israel, drew support from democracies around the world. 

Humanitarian concerns on a national level are very slowly hoping Israel will say enough is enough. But who will rebuild Gaza? Who will maintain any possible  peace agreement? Does Israel concede that  territories gained be returned? Will there be penalties imposed on the Hamas leadership? Kiss and make-up? Forgetaboutit!

What happened on university campuses across the country by undereducated “students” - the generation of kids who were denied high school normalcy and proms and  graduations, and attended classes in a vacuum on Zoom — and who revealed themselves to be  as dumb as rocks in understanding the history of the USA and any other country for that matter.

If indeed some outside agencies and   agitators —which appears likely — were stirring the pot (who paid for all those pop-up tents?) then the consequences can be shared, but in no way should the students get a pass for being gullible in the extreme. 

At $85k a year, they should be smarter — Biden’s “election-winning” plan to pay these tuition bills with tax payer dollars now seems insulting to many hard-working voters. 

I previously mentioned a series on Netflix, “The Girl from Oslo” , which was filmed in Israel, Gaza, Jordan and Egypt — a fictional account of the  taking of three hostages for the return of an ISIS leader held prisoner in Norway. The scenes of Gaza before 10/7 and the revelation of the network of hundreds of miles of tunnels  in place, and how tunnel entrances and exits are concealed in plain sight, were revealing as to the difficulty ahead for any sort of future peaceful coexistence. Israel’s deployment and motoring of fleets of drones across the desert were impressive.

mtierney said:

The brutal crimes committed by Hamas way back in 10/7/23 and the taking of hostages (surely these captives are all dead by now), combined with the strong response from an enraged Israel, drew support from democracies around the world. 

While this was initially true, Israel's genocidal murder of tens of thousands of women and children has drawn equally wide spread condemnation.

Israel is a rogue state and it is only the American veto in the Security Council that has saved it from censure by the United Nations.

mtierney said:

What happened on university campuses across the country by undereducated “students” - the generation of kids who were denied high school normalcy and proms and  graduations, and attended classes in a vacuum on Zoom — and who revealed themselves to be  as dumb as rocks in understanding the history of the USA and any other country for that matter.

Your posts here clearly demonstrate that it is you who in undereducated, not the students. You literally spend your days posting factual distortions, misunderstandings and out right lies.

mtierney said:

Hate it when I absolutely cannot suss out an acronym to save my soul! 

TOTR is short for Troll Of Toms River. 

I wish I could say knowing that would save your soul but I fear that may be a lost cause. Of course, it's never too late to change your ways.  A suite in the Pervy Pell Hell Hotel doesn't have to be your destiny. cheese

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

Your posts here clearly demonstrate that it is you who in undereducated, not the students. You literally spend your days posting factual distortions, misunderstandings and out right lies.

yeah, that comment by mt reveals so much. 

She blames a few months of Zoom classes for an "undereducated" generation of students. She's repeated this talking point many times already.

mt, please tell us how they're dumb as rocks regarding history? What do they get wrong that apparently you think that you get right?

Why do you hate these kids so much? They're protesting the deaths of 10's of thousands of innocent civilians that the US is complicit in. Don't they deserve some credit for that? Even if you don't approve of very tactic?

Why do you think there are "outside agitators"? The right always blames protests they don't agree with on outside actors? But has there ever been any proof of their allegations? I think "never" is the right answer there.

Can you do some independent thinking here? Use some compassion and empathy instead of mindlessly repeating talking points?

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

Sad to say, but among the possible reasons  for sure, would be politics and the upcoming convention and election. 

Humanitarian concerns on a national level are very slowly hoping Israel will say enough is enough. But who will rebuild Gaza? Who will maintain any possible  peace agreement? Does Israel concede that  territories gained be returned? Will there be penalties imposed on the Hamas leadership? Kiss and make-up? Forgetaboutit!

If indeed some outside agencies and   agitators —which appears likely — were stirring the pot (who paid for all those pop-up tents?) then the consequences can be shared, but in no way should the students get a pass for being gullible in the extreme. 

At $85k a year, they should be smarter — Biden’s “election-winning” plan to pay these tuition bills with tax payer dollars now seems insulting to many hard-working voters. 

I previously mentioned a series on Netflix, “The Girl from Oslo” , which was filmed in Israel, Gaza, Jordan and Egypt — a fictional account of the  taking of three hostages for the return of an ISIS leader held prisoner in Norway. The scenes of Gaza before 10/7 and the revelation of the network of hundreds of miles of tunnels  in place, and how tunnel entrances and exits are concealed in plain sight, were revealing as to the difficulty ahead for any sort of future peaceful coexistence. Israel’s deployment and motoring of fleets of drones across the desert were impressive.

Are you at all aware of the history of the region from, say, 1880 onwards and do you suppose Palestinians might have some legitimate grievances?  The New York Times had a nice article on the recent history of Israel and Palestine.

Please note that how these grievances are addressed is a different topic altogether.  Part of me thinks that they Palestinians should have accepted Israel and made the best of it.  On the other hand, nobody has ever asked me to be a second-class citizen.

tjohn said:

Are you at all aware of the history of the region from, say, 1880 onwards and do you suppose Palestinians might have some legitimate grievances?  

Of course she isn't aware.

Some people might call someone who continually spouts off in the light of such ignorance "dumb as a rock" but, frankly, the use of such language just demeans those who employ it.

cheese

drummerboy said:

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

yeah, that comment by mt reveals so much. 

She blames a few months of Zoom classes for an "undereducated" generation of students. She's repeated this talking point many times already.

mt, please tell us how they're dumb as rocks regarding history? What do they get wrong that apparently you think that you get right?

Why do you hate these kids so much? They're protesting the deaths of 10's of thousands of innocent civilians that the US is complicit in. Don't they deserve some credit for that? Even if you don't approve of very tactic?

Why do you think there are "outside agitators"? The right always blames protests they don't agree with on outside actors? But has there ever been any proof of their allegations? I think "never" is the right answer there.

Can you do some independent thinking here? Use some compassion and empathy instead of mindlessly repeating talking points?

there are a couple of things we can stipulate to. First, that Oct 7 was an atrocity worthy of outrage and strict condemnation. Second, there is no doubt a segment of the pro-Palestinian demonstrations that is anti-semitic (no doubt there is also a segment of pro-Israel supporters who are anti-semitic as well. Unfortunately there's a lot of anti-semitism in this country all around).

but the deaths of tens of thousands of civilians, mostly women and children and the resulting humanitarian crisis is its own atrocity. The vast majority of people protesting just want the mass killings and maiming to stop.

mtierney said:

How much do you think a pop-up tent costs? You can get one on Amazon for under $40 and have it delivered in two days. (h/t John Oliver)

ml1 said:

First, that Oct 7 was an atrocity worthy of outrage and strict condemnation. Second, there is no doubt a segment of the pro-Palestinian demonstrations that is anti-semitic (no doubt there is also a segment of pro-Israel supporters who are anti-semitic as well. Unfortunately there's a lot of anti-semitism in this country all around).

Another factor here is that the pro Israel people are literally advocating for an apartheid state that relegates the majority of people living in the former territory of Palestine to second class citizenship based on their religious identity.

I can well imagine a slug being sluggish, emerging from beneath the hostas, and directionally challenged, but TOTR is way, way off. 

If  had a role in the silly selection of online nomenclature , I might pick TOLL, or TOLBI — but, if asked,  I prefer my real, human name. It has a human ring to it.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

How much do you think a pop-up tent costs? You can get one on Amazon for under $40 and have it delivered in two days. (h/t John Oliver)

"Who paid for the tents?" is another one of those "IT'S GEORGE SOROS" rants.

Because the ranters are so unhinged that they freely use old antisemitic tropes at the same time they're calling all the protesters antisemitic.

@mtierney, do you have access to the I 24 channel? That's the letter I not the number one. I get it with my cable package. It's broadcast from Israel and of course has a different perspective. They just showed a clip of the Anu Museum which has a display of Israeli art reflecting on the tragedy of October 7th. Some of the pieces displayed are lovely.

I saw something for a minute that families of the hostages are suing some of the pro Hamas groups that have been involved in the campus protests. I haven't heard the full story, but it deals with the issue of outside agitators.

I mention it as I often catch things that are not covered on any of our news stations, or I observe their clips of our news and their discussions of how the US and the rest of the world views Israel's handling of the war. There are often good debates, not all the guests agree. 

I am generally not short of opinions about things whether informed or otherwise.  But when it comes to Israel and Palestine, while I understand that someway needs to be found for the groups to live together in peace and share in prosperity, I haven't the slightest idea as to how to start this process.

In past wars, once a certain level of death and destruction was reached, it sometimes occurred to people to try a different approach.  That seems like an undesirable option in this case.

mtierney said:

I can well imagine a slug being sluggish, emerging from beneath the hostas, and directionally challenged, but TOTR is way, way off. 

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Hmmm, the stuttering posts have stopped! 

mtierney said:

Hmmm, the stuttering posts have stopped! 

I don't know if I would refer to your constant use of the phrase "don't shoot the messenger" as stuttering.  That seems a bit ableist to me.

That said, thank you for ceasing and desisting.  It was getting a bit monotonous.

Morganna said:

@mtierney, do you have access to the I 24 channel? That's the letter I not the number one. I get it with my cable package. It's broadcast from Israel and of course has a different perspective. They just showed a clip of the Anu Museum which has a display of Israeli art reflecting on the tragedy of October 7th. Some of the pieces displayed are lovely.

I saw something for a minute that families of the hostages are suing some of the pro Hamas groups that have been involved in the campus protests. I haven't heard the full story, but it deals with the issue of outside agitators.

I mention it as I often catch things that are not covered on any of our news stations, or I observe their clips of our news and their discussions of how the US and the rest of the world views Israel's handling of the war. There are often good debates, not all the guests agree. 

With my $300 a month  xfinity package, I probably have that channel, I don’t know, but I will look. I called the provider recently to see how I might trim the $$$$, but I found that if I switched to a less expensive (not by much) package, I would lose the channels I enjoy the most! I do read the Jerusalem paper, available via the Drudge Report.

As far as law suits go, I hope NYC sues the universities for the costs of police services, etc — the neglect and/or incompetence on the part of schools to protect their students,  staff, and campuses should not wind up a burden on the tax paying public. Of course, I say this with my rose-colored glasses atop my nose —  and a cat on my lap!

For background awareness and recall of what has been going on in the Middle East for decades, this article goes along way in revealing the means and motives of the players….

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/israel/what-hamas-wants-postwar-gaza

mtierney said:

As far as law suits go, I hope NYC sues the universities for the costs of police services, etc — the neglect and/or incompetence on the part of schools to protect their students,  staff, and campuses should not wind up a burden on the tax paying public. Of course, I say this with my rose-colored glasses atop my nose —  and a cat on my lap!

that is quite idiotic.

I was looking for a different word to use, but really, that's the best I could find.

drummerboy said:

that is quite idiotic.

I was looking for a different word to use, but really, that's the best I could find.

I believe TOTR's preferred term is "dumb as a rock" (see her post on May 10 at 10:44am).

GoSlugs said:

I believe TOTR's preferred term is "dumb as a rock" (see her post on May 10 at 10:44am).

”Dumb as rocks,” plural. It’s just so hard to get blood from ’em.

mtierney said:

With my $300 a month  xfinity package, I probably have that channel, I don’t know, but I will look. I called the provider recently to see how I might trim the $$$$, but I found that if I switched to a less expensive (not by much) package, I would lose the channels I enjoy the most! I do read the Jerusalem paper, available via the Drudge Report.

$300 is hefty. I have so many bills with the cat rescue that I look for cuts everywhere. That said, I hate to admit I skimp on subscriptions and can't read NYTs articles. I splurge on my National Geographics and a bit on my cable package but I'm not as high as yours.

I accidentally ran across I 24. I'm cutting down on my cable news consumption, which was a bit over the top, and replacing it with quite a bit of PBS. Actually, the only place I participate in political discussion is MOL and I had to take a break from a couple of threads. I still believe that Town Halls should have topics open for civil and courteous discussions to bring opposing parties together. We have to start listening to each other.

drummerboy said:

that is quite idiotic.

which part? — my rose-colored glasses, or the cat on my lap? 

Or my saying the schools should be held responsible for reimbursing the city for the expenses involved in the defense,  protection, and recovery costs  stemming from the rioting. It was obvious that the school leadership was sadly lacking — and delayed.

mtierney said:

which part? — my rose-colored glasses, or the cat on my lap? 

Or my saying the schools should be held responsible for reimbursing the city for the expenses involved in the defense,  protection, and recovery costs  stemming from the rioting. It was obvious that the school leadership was sadly lacking — and delayed.

oh please.

why were these people arrested in the first place? It looks like overreach to me.

I personally would not believe at face value any justification provided by Mayor Adams or the NYPD.

And then to ask that the NYPD sue to recover costs for an unjustified incursion by the police?

ridiculous

But it fits you to a t.

mtierney said:

Or my saying the schools should be held responsible for reimbursing the city for the expenses involved in the defense, protection, and recovery costs stemming from the rioting.

Can you describe the rioting that preceded NYC’s expenses?

Interesting coverage of reporting on campus protests on On The Media today, including complaints that news outlets are covering the "action" a lot more than the issues.  https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm

Fun fact (according to OTM):  A police presentation claimed that heavy chains used to lock the doors at Columbia were evidence of the infamous "outside agitators," and not something a student would bring to school.  Turns out the chains were available to students through the campus safety office. : )

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.