What series should I watch next?

bub said:

I somehow lost track of it after watching a few early episodes but Adilion and the show are great.  She was superb as Louie CK's demented, sort of not-girlfriend in that show.

We watch "Better Things" and my wife wants Pamela Adilon's character to be her new best friend.

She also plays a psychologist on "This is Us".

STANV said:

bub said:

I somehow lost track of it after watching a few early episodes but Adilion and the show are great.  She was superb as Louie CK's demented, sort of not-girlfriend in that show.

We watch "Better Things" and my wife wants Pamela Adilon's character to be her new best friend.

She also plays a psychologist on "This is Us".

Yeah, we noticed her on This Is Us, too.

I love Better Things, too.  Have been watching since the beginning.  Despite my reservations about Amazon, which are even greater since reading about the Prime con, we're Prime members.  Heightening my dilemma, Prime offers some wonderful original programming, especially the incomparable Tales from the Loop.  Nathaniel Halpern, a producer on Legion, which I also loved, was inspired to create TFTL by the surreal landscape paintings of Simon Stalenhag.  It's a contemplative, gentle show, a departure from most contemporary Scifi films and television, and reminds me a little of Ray Bradbury's work, but with a Lynchian feel as well. 

Elle_Cee said:

I love Better Things, too.  Have been watching since the beginning.  Despite my reservations about Amazon, which are even greater since reading about the Prime con, we're Prime members.  Heightening my dilemma, Prime offers some wonderful original programming, especially the incomparable Tales from the Loop.  Nathaniel Halpern, a producer on Legion, which I also loved, was inspired to create TFTL by the surreal landscape paintings of Simon Stalenhag.  It's a contemplative, gentle show, a departure from most contemporary Scifi films and television, and reminds me a little of Ray Bradbury's work, but with a Lynchian feel as well. 

Better Things is on FX/Hulu.

Yes.  I should have added a paragraph break.  

Last night I watched the first episodes of:

RUN on HBO. Probably won't return to it. Found it silly and not compelling at all.

Mrs America on HULU about Phyllis Schlafley and the Equal Rights Amendment in the early 70s.

What an amazing cast. Cate Blanchett, Uzo Aduba (as Shirley Chisholm) , Tracy Ullman, Elizabeth Banks, Rose Byrne (whom I'm watching in Damages), Margo Martindale (as Bella Abzug!), Neicy Nash, John Slattery, Sarah Paulson, Jeanne Tripplehorn, and more. It was fun for name spotting, if nothing else. It has a very Mad Men feel to it. Dahvi Waller the creator was a writer on Mad Men.

Elle_Cee said:

As a fan on Simon Stalenhag I love Tales From The Loop.

Just started The Crown....up to episode 4 of season 1. 

Im a big Star Trek fan so saw all of Picard recently.

Almost done with season 1 of The Crown. 

Saw all of The Widow...I knew as she got closer to finding her husband that he would have a new family.

Just watched the final episode of The Plot Against America on HBO last night. Very powerful show. And very relevant for today although Roth probably had no idea when he wrote the book. He was involved in the show, however, before he died and probably did have Donnie D-bag in mind.

The show made HUNTERS with Al Pacino seem the ludicrous claptrap (always wanted to use that word) that it was.

Has anybody watched Penny Dreadful ? I am finally able to get it on Showtime. It's in the 3rd season so I'm going to catch up.

If anyone likes a British spooky series, with all of the wonderful design of the 1890s filled with references to Frankenstein, Jack the Ripper and the occasional vampire, this is it.

It might appeal to those who loved Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr., From Hell, or Sleepy Hollow both with Johnny Depp . The set design is "hauntingly" beautiful, costumes are exquisite and the special effects are brilliant, if you don't mind a bit of blood.

I realize it's a bit early for Halloween but anyone who loves a touch of Steampunk will be up for it.

Penny Dreadful technically ends after season 3, but there is a new Penny Dreadful coming soon with a new cast set in Los Angeles in the 20s. I've watched and enjoyed individual episodes of the original series, but didn't have Showtime to watch it all.

Also i have a few days left on my CBS All Access free month. Watched all of STsurprisedIcard, which was... okay I guess. But I really like Discovery, even though it's complete tosh and I feel like I need to have seen every other episode of Star Trek ever made to get the references.

ridski said:

Penny Dreadful technically ends after season 3, but there is a new Penny Dreadful coming soon with a new cast set in Los Angeles in the 20s. I've watched and enjoyed individual episodes of the original series, but didn't have Showtime to watch it all.

Showtime is free at the moment in some locations. Looks like there are 3 seasons free as a trial on Netflix and Hulu as well. 

I planned on tagging you on that post because I thought it might appeal to you.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

RUN on HBO. Probably won't return to it. Found it silly and not compelling at all.

I agree, but my wife may continue watching.

Saw a promo last night for a new series. I don't remember  if it was HBO or Showtime

"Perry Mason"

Talk about a blast from the past!  oh oh

Edited to add

Found this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2077823/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

STANV said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I agree, but my wife may continue watching.

Saw a promo last night for a new series. I don't remember  if it was HBO or Showtime

"Perry Mason"

Talk about a blast from the past! 
oh oh

Edited to add

Found this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2077823/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Wow, a new Perry Mason, with Matthew Rhys as the man himself. I loved Rhys in The Americans. This should be fun. When do you think it starts?

My late Yiddishe bubbe loved Perry Mason and her apartment in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn was littered with Perry Mason paperbacks. So any mention of Perry Mason makes me think of her. She's been gone probably 50+ years 

If anyone has Hulu - Little Fires Everywhere was excellent.

jamie said:

If anyone has Hulu - Little Fires Everywhere was excellent.

How does it compare to the book?

Kefler on Amazon is looking promising. A French detective who is mentally unstable — to put it mildly. I think the quarantine and total lack of going places have attracted to me to series set in faraway places! Virtual sightseeing.

Loved Little Fires Everywhere. Very true to the book. I read the book a couple of years ago. The author, Celeste Ng, was involved in production of show. The subject matter is very relevant to our town/school system just with more affluence. I have a good friend who lives in Shaker Heights, ( where story takes place) and she feels it’s pretty accurate of the town but most of her fellow community members are resentful of the show & don’t agree with it. Also, Ng, the author, grew up in Shaker Heights so it’s not just some random town to her. 

I just saw that Season 4 or WORKIN' MOMS on Netflix starts next week, on the 4th.  I LOVE this show!

I've started watching Mindy Kaling's new show NEVER HAVE I EVER. Very cute,

ETA: for absolutely no apparent reason, this show about an Indian-American high school girl and her friends is narrated by John McEnroe. But it works.

Has anyone tried Upload on Prime?  The promos look pretty interesting.

I tried Tales from the Loop, first couple episodes dragged a bit for me.

There's a new season of The Last Kingdom. It's relentlessly gory but the premise ("As Alfred the Great defends his kingdom from Norse invaders, Uhtred -- born a Saxon but raised by Vikings -- seeks to claim his ancestral birthright."), the costumes and a highly unbelievable storyline are keeping me engaged. 

j_r said:

There's a new season of The Last Kingdom. It's relentlessly gory but the premise ("As Alfred the Great defends his kingdom from Norse invaders, Uhtred -- born a Saxon but raised by Vikings -- seeks to claim his ancestral birthright."), the costumes and a highly unbelievable storyline are keeping me engaged. 

This sounds very appealing. I may have to give Netflix a trial. I lost Showtime so with it Penny Dreadful which leaves me only My Brilliant Friend which is probably ending soon. I'm definitely a fan of sword and sorcery so this Viking historical drama sounds like something I will enjoy.

jamie said:

Has anyone tried Upload on Prime?  The promos look pretty interesting.

I tried Tales from the Loop, first couple episodes dragged a bit for me.

Tales from the Loop is slow. Excruciatingly slow. That's kind of the appeal for me, it really allows the visuals to tell the tell the story and really explore what are essentially sci-fi concepts we've seen before but with a different twist. Episode 3 really sealed the deal for me. 

In recent weeks, I've enjoyed watching Ozark, Killing Eve, Fargo (the series), Homeland, and Schitt's Creek.

I'm only 2 episodes in - but I'm liking Upload on Prime, it's cool that they're using Lake Mohonk in it.

We’ve just binged SEE, and we’re glad we persevered. So many online reviews don’t understand everyday life for people with low vision, have never followed international blind sports, have no idea what blind artists and craftspeople can produce let alone the highly talented businesspeople currently living independent lives and running successful companies. 
Apparently it’s based on a book which would have explained more per chapter than we see in a scene (which is kind of the point being made). If you just accept the universe they’re in as it is,  by the end of ep 3 the story itself takes over; I had some quibbles re timelines and personal agendas in ep 5 & 6. No doubt season 2 will deal with most of that. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.