What series should I watch next?

Morganna said:

@jamie , saw that you mentioned Dexter and heard about it from another friend so I decided to start from the beginning. Binge-watched the first season, I'm into the second one and getting into Dexter's dark humor. 

I watched five seasons of Dexter before moving on. The Julia Stiles season and the John Lithgow season were my favorites. Lithgow in particular was really something. Antihero characters like Dexter, Ray Donovan, Walter White, Tony Soprano, Seong Gi-Hun, and so many others seem to have become as popular these days as traditional heroes. We've come a loooong way from the Gunsmoke days. grin

unicorn33 said:

I watched five seasons of Dexter before moving on. The Julia Stiles season and the John Lithgow season were my favorites. Lithgow in particular was really something. Antihero characters like Dexter, Ray Donovan, Walter White, Tony Soprano, Seong Gi-Hun, and so many others seem to have become as popular these days as traditional heroes. We've come a loooong way from the Gunsmoke days.
grin

I'm watching it to fill a need for something to follow. I got into Homeland years after others discovered it and after finishing that series I have yet to find another that has me as hooked. I tried Sleeper Cell, also an old one, but the writing and acting didn't compare. So for now I'll leave the CIA behind and follow a serial killer fighting for truth justice and the American way. Wish I could mix the plots a bit, because I find Dexter's girl Rita tiresome, and since I can't imagine him killing her, I could see someone from Homeland sliding into the plot to carry her off to GITMO.

drummerboy said:

I think that the Dexter opening is a singular, great piece of film-making. I'm still enthralled by it.

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind the next time you start one of your cooking threads.

Morganna said:

unicorn33 said:

I watched five seasons of Dexter before moving on. The Julia Stiles season and the John Lithgow season were my favorites. Lithgow in particular was really something. Antihero characters like Dexter, Ray Donovan, Walter White, Tony Soprano, Seong Gi-Hun, and so many others seem to have become as popular these days as traditional heroes. We've come a loooong way from the Gunsmoke days.
grin

I'm watching it to fill a need for something to follow. I got into Homeland years after others discovered it and after finishing that series I have yet to find another that has me as hooked. I tried Sleeper Cell, also an old one, but the writing and acting didn't compare. So for now I'll leave the CIA behind and follow a serial killer fighting for truth justice and the American way. Wish I could mix the plots a bit, because I find Dexter's girl Rita tiresome, and since I can't imagine him killing her, I could see someone from Homeland sliding into the plot to carry her off to GITMO.

It's interesting to hear your reaction to Rita. I've chatted with a number of people about this series, and I've heard them say they got tired of Rita or Dexter's sister or Dexter's father or Dexter himself. Personally, I fell into that final group, but I always enjoyed the guest stars. 

If you're looking to get hooked on a series, I'd recommend Breaking Bad. It's one of the few series that effectively showed the evolution of a character over multiple seasons. 

Just finished Maid.  Thought I’d love it.  Great reviews.  Ugh.  Painful.  I wanted to strangle almost every character. 

5 episodes into “The Shrink Next Door” and still hate it. Tried “You” last night. The stalking is too creepy.

Need something new but we’ve seen Ted Lasso, Morning Show, Hacks, all of Yellowstone, Mare, American Rust, Friends from College, Only Murders, White Lotus, Nine Perfect Strangers.  

Anyone watch True Story on Netflix? Anything else fairly recent that we’ve missed?

ETA: Also watched The Flight Attendant, Broadchurch, Dead to Me.

Tried an episode of Reservation Dogs based on phenomenal reviews.  Couldn’t get through one episode.  

Barry, a comedy-drama about a hitman who wants to be an actor. (Bill Hader, Stephen Root, Henry Winkler)

jimmurphy said:

Anyone watch True Story on Netflix? Anything else fairly recent that we’ve missed?

Have you seen You on Netflix - very Dexteresque.

And I've mentioned it a few times before - it's over now - so you can binge the whole thing - Dopesick on Hulu.  One of my top picks of the year.

And another top pick for me was Halston on Netflix.

The Expanse is coming back to Prime starting tomorrow. 6 episodes, final series of this story. I'm intensely excited!

jimmurphy said:

5 episodes into “The Shrink Next Door” and still hate it. Tried “You” last night. The stalking is too creepy.

Need something new but we’ve seen Ted Lasso, Morning Show, Hacks, all of Yellowstone, Mare, American Rust, Friends from College, Only Murders, White Lotus, Nine Perfect Strangers.  

ETA: Also watched The Flight Attendant, Broadchurch, Dead to Me.

I'd suggest Workin' Moms or Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Both fun and somewhat light. Short episodes. 

Have you tried Succession on HBO? It's creepy and the people and situations are awful but I can't look away. Acting is superb. 

Also, if you haven't seen Catastrophe, on Prime, I'd recommend it. 

jamie said:

And I've mentioned it a few times before - it's over now - so you can binge the whole thing - Dopesick on Hulu.  One of my top picks of the year.

Tried both Dexter and You - the wife doesn't care for them.

Will definitely look at Dopesick and Halston. Thanks!

jeffl said:

Tried an episode of Reservation Dogs based on phenomenal reviews.  Couldn’t get through one episode.  

I stuck with it, because my son was living with us at the time and really wanted to watch it. I felt it got better and better. Found it very affecting by the end.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'd suggest Workin' Moms or Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Both fun and somewhat light. Short episodes. 

Have you tried Succession on HBO? It's creepy and the people and situations are awful but I can't look away. Acting is superb. 

Also, if you haven't seen Catastrophe, on Prime, I'd recommend it. 

Will try the first two.  It would be nice to have some lighter options.

Yes, we started Succession last night and watched 2 episodes, which bodes well for holding my wife's interest!

We did watch Catastrophe and liked it a lot.

Thanks!

I started watching Yellowjackets on Showtime.

It was pretty good.

https://www.sho.com/yellowjackets

In the under the radar category (but well reviewed by critics and viewers), I blew through and enjoyed the first 2 seasons of a Belgian series called Into the Night.  It's labeled as a sci fi series, and its main story arc is driven by a sci fi premise, buts its more of a suspenseful human conflict thriller from episode to episode.  If this is your kind of thing, it works. 

If you enjoyed 

Inglourious Basterds or Hunters,

Give Jaguar a try on Netflix.  S

One season of a Spanish series.

Others have posted Money Heist.  Also Spanish.

jamie said:

Your suggestion got me watching Dexter. Binge watched the first series and just caught up on Dexter New Blood. I'm hooked.

Each episode of Dexter usually ends with a bit of a cliffhanger from what I remember so, it lends well to being binge-able.

Another show that ended each episode with a cliffhanger is 24.  It's hard to stop watching that one once you start.  It was such a great role for Kiefer.  I can't believe it started in 2002 - it doesn't feel like that long ago.

Get up from your couch or favorite TV chair and go see the new Westside Story. A triumph!

rcarter31 said:

Get up from your couch or favorite TV chair and go see the new Westside Story. A triumph!

hey! there's a movie thread for this kind of talk!  cheese

drummerboy said:

hey! there's a movie thread for this kind of talk! 
cheese

Since he brought it up, you immediately came to mind when I saw the ad for it. "Boy, boy, crazy boy, stay cool boy."

bub said:

In the under the radar category (but well reviewed by critics and viewers), I blew through and enjoyed the first 2 seasons of a Belgian series called Into the Night.  It's labeled as a sci fi series, and its main story arc is driven by a sci fi premise, buts its more of a suspenseful human conflict thriller from episode to episode.  If this is your kind of thing, it works. 

great rec.  really enjoying it. Thanks. 

We're enjoying Yellowjackets.

Dexter First Blood season is over - great finale!

I can't recall if it's been mentioned but:

I LOVED Ted Lasso. 

"Just Like That" (The SITC reboot) is so terrible I just can't look away. 

Two shows, both with good reviews.

I'm in the middle of a comedy drama called Reservation Dogs, about teens on a reservation out west who hustle and commit petty crimes to raise money so they can leave the reservation and go to California.  It's not sit-commy or plot intensive.  It a low key, slice of life thing, which I like.

I finished a South Korean sci fi series called The Silent Sea.  I won't say it was great but there was something about it that made me binge watch it.  It's suspenseful and mysterious.  

Station Eleven on HBO is wonderful.  It deals with a pandemic far more deadly than Covid and its aftermath, so it is upsetting, especially in early episodes.  However, it's beautifully directed and filmed, and the actors' performances are superb.  

jamie said:

We're enjoying Yellowjackets.

Dexter First Blood season is over - great finale!

Agree, great finale, but I was hoping this season was the start of a whole new Dexter for a few seasons.

I've held off watching Yellowjackets as I am not a fan of Juliette Lewis but I'm running out of things to watch. Waiting for Billions to start. Watching Homeland again.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.