What series should I watch next?

3 Body Problem on Netflix, based on the novel by Liu Cixin. 

mtierney said:

I enjoy watching Expats for a number of reasons — brilliant photography, a insider peek at the life of the rich, who are even richer in Hong Kong, living in spectacular, high rise apartment building, with servants at their beck and call, and expats who are without moral compass, confused, embittered, and unhappy — and disconnected. As a world traveler— literally and by armchair — I revel in the scenery— and the typhoon scenes had me looking for my umbrella! 

There were many things I liked about the show. However, I thought Nicole Kidman was miscast in this role. She's in her mid-50s in real life but in the show her youngest child is three years old. Also, her face can barely move anymore from Botox and fillers and whatever else. 

I started watching WARRIOR, on Netflix, a very violent tale of Chinese immigrants in San Francisco in the 1880s. I'm 5 epis in and not sure I'd recommend it. 

We are enjoying Life on Peacock.  Two Seasons

Great Cast including Adam Arkin and Damian Lewis and several others.

rcarter31 said:

Please provide the streaming service. (FWIW, I don't have Peacock nor Apple - and will NEVER do Apple but that is my bias). Thanks!

wendy said:

rcarter31 said:

Please provide the streaming service. (FWIW, I don't have Peacock nor Apple - and will NEVER do Apple but that is my bias). Thanks!

I'm presuming you've already come to the realization that rcarter31 did provide the streaming service.

HBO has a series The Regime with Kate Winslet. I'm trying to get into it but it's not working.

ridski said:

wendy said:

rcarter31 said:

I'm presuming you've already come to the realization that rcarter31 did provide the streaming service.

I thought the name of the series was "Life on Peacock"  Really. Hadn't heard of it as a single or three word series and didn't look it up. Thanks!

Morganna said:

HBO has a series The Regime with Kate Winslet. I'm trying to get into it but it's not working.

I've tried two episodes so far. Not sure if I will try a third.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I started watching WARRIOR, on Netflix, a very violent tale of Chinese immigrants in San Francisco in the 1880s. I'm 5 epis in and not sure I'd recommend it. 

Now that I'm almost through Season 1 of this very violent show about Chinese immigrants and Tong (gang) wars in San Francisco in the late 19th Century, I'm enjoying it much more. 

yahooyahoo said:

I've tried two episodes so far. Not sure if I will try a third.

I watched all the episodes and remained bewildered. It felt like an expensive production with talented actors and I kept wondering if people were enjoying it. As a satire, I kept thinking that I didn't get the humor.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Saw first episode and was hoping Mr Wu from Deadwood would make a cameo. Seems to be intriguing, but over-the-top violence is excessive. 

dave said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Saw first episode and was hoping Mr Wu from Deadwood would make a cameo. Seems to be intriguing, but over-the-top violence is excessive. 

Indeed, it is. I just started season 2 and it's [much] more of the same.

Morganna said:

also tried it and bailed after 3 episodes 

Not impressed with The Regime either - too bad seemed like a decent concept and cast.  But it tends to play in the background.

We're binging through Ripley on Netflix (on episode 6) - it's great!  And beautifully done in black and white.

I spent most of Saturday watching Ripley.Just couldn't stop viewing it. Great in every way!!

Adding to my growing list of shows I started, but then lost interest: 

The Regime (watched 1st ep, meh)

Palm Royale on AppleTV (left the room after 20 minutes into the pilot to fold laundry)

Mr and Mrs Smith (3 episodes in, but not sure if I feel like going back to it)

I am really enjoying the Fallout show on Prime, and Beacon 23 on MGM+, which for some reason I can watch with my Paramount+ subscription.

Can't stop watching Ripley, but not sure I love it. I do love the beautiful cinematography though.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Eh! Watched the whole thing and was underwhelmed.

Binged Ripley yesterday and for the cinematography of Italy and art alone it's worth seeing, but the story (though gruesome at times) is magnetic.  Also, a  fun cameo appearance of John Malkovich.  

I quickly realized it was a remake of The Talented Mr. Ripley (I hadn't read anything about it before watching).  It is beautifully shot and directed.  There are some interesting artistic choices, such as casting someone 20 years older than Tom Ripley's age in the book and filming in black and white. Also the casting for Freddie's character, who apparently is Sting's child.

I probably will watch through the end. But I'm wondering why the book needed another remake, especially eight episodes.

Anybody see Baby Reindeer, a true crime sort of documentary written by a bartender comedian who was stalked by a woman who sent him tens of thousands of text, etc over a period of years? It got good viewer ratings on Netflix.

Just began Parish on AMC (Giancarlo Esposito) and it looks good.

Jasmo said:

Anybody see Baby Reindeer, a true crime sort of documentary written by a bartender comedian who was stalked by a woman who sent him tens of thousands of text, etc over a period of years? It got good viewer ratings on Netflix.

I have.  It’s riveting, but disturbing at the same time.

Okokokok said:

Jasmo said Anybody see Baby Reindeer, a true crime sort of documentary written by a bartender comedian who was stalked by a woman who sent him tens of thousands of text, etc over a period of years? It got good viewer ratings on Netflix.

I have.  It’s riveting, but disturbing at the same time.

The actress who played Martha was amazing in her role. 

I'm liking Ripley a lot now.  On episode five.  It's much darker and more sinister than the movie.

Saw the first episode of Alice and Jack on PBS.  I'm in. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.